Monday, March 6, 2017

RICE and Coconuts - The Road to Recovery

I'm two days out from the half marathon.  I was pretty worried about the knee pain that came on after arriving home.  It started as a twinge at about mile 8.  I pushed through it and didn't slow down (likely against my better judgment) until fatigue set in around mile 10.  Even then, I told myself I wouldn't walk.  There's nothing wrong with running breaks during a long run.  I just know my mental state during an endurance activity.  Once I walk, I end up walking more than running...until I just end up walking the rest of the way.  For many, the run-walk combo is even a way to get a better time in.  It's just not for me.

Anyway, by the time I made it home, the outer portion of my right knee was hurting pretty badly.  On one of those little pain charts, I would've been the little face that winces with each step.  I went with the RICE method: rest, ice, compression and elevation.  I did any combination of those four things all day Sunday.  I even wore the knee compression band to bed as I elevated my leg on a pillow (probably not necessary).  This morning, though still a little achy, it was not as bad.  I walked around the office at work all day and did some light stretching whenever I could find myself in an empty hallway.  It continues to feel better...I'm hopeful I can get back to some light running later this week.

I also have to thank all things coconut.  I have a lot of faith in the famous Pinterest 'golden milk' concoction.  It's a blend of coconut milk, coconut oil, turmeric, black pepper, ginger, all mixed together, warm and with the smallest drips of honey stirred in.  It's delicious and supposed to help with inflammation.  Maybe it was just that it was so freaking comforting that I fell into the best slumber I'd had in months...but I believe my drink truly helped with the inflammation.

I think recovery routines are going to become some of my favorite research experiments in the coming months of marathon training.

No comments:

Post a Comment