Wednesday, January 20, 2016

A Love Letter to Vivienne


Dear Vivienne,

I’ve struggled with the right words to write you this letter.  I wrote it over & over in my head, but somehow everything came out sounding fearful about not getting to meet you.  You see, we’ve been waiting for you for quite some time...longer than just these last ten months.  From the time we found out you were in my tummy, we’ve had a few scares and I was just so scared that I wouldn’t get to meet you.  Now, we’re just seven days from meeting each other face-to-face.  I’ve talked to you all this time and I know you’ve heard me as you’ve tapped my hand when I place it on my belly to talk to you. 

Many people say that married people should not have kids to feel complete, but I disagree with them.  First, I could not wait for your big sister to be born…and she undoubtedly brought a new level of living to your dad’s and my life.  As soon as we recovered from sleepless nights with her as a newborn, I knew we were still an incomplete family.  You have been patiently waiting for us too.  Your life and how you came to be is a miracle.  You came from your dad and me and modern medicine helped us along so that you would flourish, first with your sister…and then with you.  You are that much more special because you came to be in this world at the same time as your big sister.  In some ways, the two of you are like twins, who have not been able to be with each other for 4 years.  I think both of you sense that.  Anytime we worry about you being too sleepy in my tummy or not kicking enough, we have your sister come and talk to you and you immediately start to kick or move.  I think you already have a magical bond, and I’m so grateful for you to have each other.  For the last month, one of the first things she asks about when she wakes up is if today will be the day she gets to meet you.  We can’t wait to have you home with us.  We already love you so much.  We all talk about taking you to the park, to restaurants, on fun family trips…we are ready for you to arrive and finish off our little family puzzle. 

Know how special you are in our home.  You are not only the baby of the family and someone’s little sister, you are the person who’s personality and interests we can’t wait to mold for.  Your dad and I changed so much when your big sister was born.  We changed even more as she grew up and developed her own interests and personality.  We’re ready for another wave of changes…inspired by you.  I know you will make us all be better.  You already inspired your sister’s protective nature.  She already talks about taking care of you and defending you.  You have inspired me to become more organized and to be the healthiest version of myself possible…because I’ll have to be to stay ahead of you two girls! 

We are not making room for you in our lives, family and home.  It has always been yours and we are just now getting to have you take that rightful place where you’ve always belonged.  Before your sister was born, I wrote her a letter similar to this where I told her I was terrified of having a daughter.  Now, I know in my heart of hearts, I was meant to have two daughters.  With the amount of love and strength I get from the two of you, I feel invincible.  I feel like I could move mountains for the two of you.  Your dad jokes about being outnumbered, but I tell him I see this as such a gift for him, for me, for your sister…

Getting to watch two strong, fierce & independent women grow up in our home is going to be the greatest gift of our lives.  Thank you for being. 

Love,

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment